Bringing the Classroom to Life: How My Summer Misadventures Inspired a Brand-New Speaking Game!
If there’s one thing holiday travel guarantees, it’s that humans do some truly baffling things.
While taking a much-needed break this summer, I found myself noticing the hilarious, unpredictable, and strangely universal quirks of human behavior everywhere I went- from airport terminal confusion to bizarre local customs. Naturally, as a teacher, my brain immediately drifted back to the classroom: How can I harness this natural human weirdness to get my upper-intermediate and advanced students talking?
The answer was waiting for me right on my phone feed when I got back: The Search Engine Game!
Check it out here: lesson plan+cards
Inspired by real-life internet search habits and designed to spark genuine, high-level conversation, I’ve put together a brand-new classroom activity set tailored specifically for B2+ and C1 learners.
What’s inside the pack?
10 High-Interest Prompt Cards: Printer-friendly, each card presents an intriguing search prompt (like "Is it normal to..." or "How do I politely avoid...") along with real, top-ranking search results.
Complete Teacher’s Guide: Step-by-step instructions for running the game host-style or in small groups, complete with a point system that rewards both accuracy and creative language.
Targeted Language Practice: Designed to naturally elicit complex grammar- including speculative modals ("They might search for this if..."), dependent prepositions, and modern collocations—without feeling like a rigid drill.
Post-Game Extension Tasks: Ready-to-use reflection prompts to transition seamless gameplay into sophisticated written analysis.
Whether you're looking for an unforgettable icebreaker, a dynamic speaking filler, or a full lesson on register and collocations, this pack gets students debating, laughing, and using authentic English from the first minute.
Have you tried using search trends or viral topics in your advanced classes? Let me know in the comments how your students react!
Comments
Post a Comment